This week I thought I would share a tip that has helped me a lot on taking my hand lettering sketches to the computer, without losing that handmade quality.
- Create a quick sketch using your favorite brush pens, paintbrush or even a sharpie.
- Scan your image to the computer.
- Open the image in Photoshop and apply “Step 1” of the Handrawn Type action, created from this video by the talented Dave Coleman.
- Adjust the brightness/contrast layer created after “Step 1” of the action. Make sure to click “Use Legacy” and get a good amount of contrast in there. The video goes into more detail about this if you want to see it in action.
- Play “Step 2” of the action.
- Place the image on a texture or background of your choice. Feel free to cleanup any unwanted areas with the layer mask tool. You can also apply a color overlay layer style to stand out against your background.
And you are done! It is a pretty quick + painless solution to scan your artwork into Photoshop, if you are looking for that rough handmade quality. I also use this Photoshop action when creating patterns, or any other design elements. Enjoy!
Photoshop Action | Photo from my recent trip to Colorado